Sunday, 29 January 2012

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it

SHARE
‎"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it (George Bernard Shaw). I posted this on my wall in Facebook and a flurry of Romanians clicked like.

I guessed Romanians would like this. It is only half-true, though. Cynics do not observe everything.  

But Romanian are a very religious people who strongly believe in original sin and Man’s fallen nature. Which after all is the only Christian dogma which is empirically verifiable. Though Romanians lack the infinite regret in condemning sin which is the mark of the perfect Christian. On the contrary they have a relish for condemning it. Even sometimes when they commit the same sins themselves. In fact especially when they commit the same sins themselves.

For a long time I thought when Romanians told me about how X was stealing and Y got his money through connections and Z slept her way to a position of power I thought this meant they disapproved and found out later they did not at all. Rather naïf  of me.


Romanians are always terrified of lua teapa (being skewered or conned, to be impaled or literally to receive a stake) and so always believe the worst and are often right.

No comments:

Post a Comment