Tuesday, 29 May 2012

For a nation of non-conformists it feels like we're in North Korea

SHARE
The London Olympics will be a demonstration of overwhelming state power and an appalling waste of public money. Dominic Lawson sounds an appropriately curmudgeonly note here. 


The Olympics are as attractive or unattractive as the society which stages them. England's culture no longer values sportsmanship or amateurism but money, diversity and egalitarianism. But my nephews and nieces are delighted they are happening and I am delighted to have bought them tickets for the trampolining event. Trampolining sounds amateurish and jolly. Bouncing on a trampoline is one of the few sports I ever enjoyed. Perhaps I should rejoice that it makes people happy and it makes me happy that I can ignore it completely here in Bucharest.

No comments:

Post a Comment