Monday, 2 July 2012

Women and laughter

SHARE

We cherish our friends not for their ability to amuse us, but for ours to amuse them. -- Evelyn Waugh

I cherish them for both - actually slightly prefer the former - but like Waugh I prefer women as friends and women are not quite as amusing as men? Actually I am not sure this is true - many of my women friends are screamingly funny. I was thinking though of Christopher Hitchens's views.

Evelyn Waugh and Graham Greene once quarrelled because Waugh said he would rather talk to the ugliest, most stupid woman than the most intelligent man and Greene said he would not go that far. Of course, my head knows Greene was right but my heart agrees with Waugh and I feel very sorry for those men who go through life without platonic women friends. How dull the walk through life must be with only men to talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment