Saturday, 12 January 2013

Quotations for the New Year

SHARE







"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril." Sir Winston Churchill










"Shall I tell you what it is to know? To say you know when you know, and to say you do not know when you do not, that is knowledge." Confucius
"In my early years I read very hard. It is a sad reflection, but a true one, that I knew almost as much at eighteen as I do now." Dr.Johnson 
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed." Alexander Pope in a letter to John Gay
“My parents did not understand the secret of a life really well lived. My father used to say to me: 'Susan, life is just a mass of boredom interspersed with a few expansive moments.’ In many ways my parents were the models of what I really didn’t want to be.” Susan Jeffers, who wrote 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway'
"Life is, I am sure, made of poetry." Jorge Luis Borges 
“Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair.” - George Burns

"My grandfather was the unluckiest man. On his death bed he confessed to two murders and then got better." Bob Monkhouse

'What puts me off about going to heaven is knowing the Dean of Chapel will be there.' 'You must remembered he will be transfigured.' Is this a correct quotation from Joyce? I heard it from Alexander Haydon

"Yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision, but today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.." A framed motto that hangs from the wall of the Imperial Hotel, Jerusalem. I believe it is a Sanskrit proverb.
"Pessimism is as much fun as optimism when you get used to it." Arnold Bennett  
"I love to do as my fathers did, / In the days ere I was born."  Wilfred Scawen Blunt. I thought this while reading complaints about discrimination against transgender people, whatever they are. 
"Society is perpetually persecuting." A.J. Balfour
“I only write when I am inspired. Fortunately I am inspired at 9 o’clock every morning.” William Faulkner 

"All the people like us are WE...and everyone else is THEY." Rudyard Kipling 

"Only the dead have seen the end of War." Plato 
‎"The air of England is too pure for any slave to breathe." These words were said by the great Lord Chief Justice Mansfield freeing an African slave whose ship berthed in England. Unfortunately, we are a nation of slaves now. They even want to legislate about the sugar content of Frosties.

4 comments:

  1. My favorite, as usual from Kipling: "All the people like us are WE...and everyone else is THEY." Rudyard Kipling

    ReplyDelete
  2. must read more Kipling who was saved from the snobbish contempt of people like Harold Nicolson by TS Eliot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know he was also a major influence on Sci-Fi, in fact probably more major there than anywhere else? Read "Easy as ABC" sometime. People just don't know he did Sci-Fi because he only did Sci-Fi stories - none of his novels were Science Fiction. If you enjoy Kipling, you may also enjoy Jack London, whose style was in many ways inspired by him but also added a perspective to it that Kipling could not bring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them all. Make me smile. I think my favorite is the proverb in the Imperial Hotel. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete