Thursday, 28 March 2013

Happy Easter

SHARE
I wish all my readers who are celebrating Easter this Sunday a happy and holy Easter. I wish all the rest a pleasant weekend.


This is from Robert Mickens' report in The Tablet on the Pope's Holy Thursday Mass with young detainees: 

"A young man who spoke on behalf of the residents said, 'We only want to know one thing: why did the pope want to come visit us?' Pope Francis said it was a 'sentiment of his heart" and something that would help him 'more to be humble.' Then he added: 'Things of the heart have no explanation!'"



I regret that the habit of English monarchs washing the feet of the poor on Maundy Thursday fell into desuetude.

5 comments:

  1. Very many people are quite sad about this. I am sad. Why today? I have to go now. It's nearing midnight. Nearing the day of the Crucifixion +

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't conspicuous humility self-defeating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I Anon 7:59 of course meant is why "today" Holy Thursday, a Papal Mass at prison? I am not a student of theology so if this is anyway correct I do not know. I read once or twice that Jesus washing the feet of the Apostles was in part a cleansing in their "ordination" into priesthood/bishopry. Dunno? What I'm sure I do know is that in this era Jesus is very often misinterpreted, 'misrepresented'. All this "Bible Study" among laity is a rather protestant thing taken up now by Catholics too. Many times the 'leader', coordinator is a lay person. At Catholic universities the are some poor or bad theologians. Seminaries? So for now I'll just end saying, priests and Popes should not be washing womens' feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Blessed Joyful Easter to all who go here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon 12:21, Yes Jesus called them hypocrites. And He said in giving alms let not the left hand know what the right doeth.

    ReplyDelete