Monday, 11 March 2013

What is meant by reality?

SHARE



"What is meant by reality? It would seem to be something very erratic, very undependable- now to be found in a dusty road, now in a scrap of newspaper. It overwhelms one walking home beneath the stars and makes the silent world more real than the world of speech... This is what remains over when the skin of the day has been cast into the hedge; that is what is left of past time and of our loves and hates"

Virginia Woolf, posted on his Facebook wall today by William Dalrymple.

What she was searching for is what I and all adolescents searched for. I think it is found in God but she, an atheist, did not know this. It is also true that when one is searching one is closer to the truth than when one finds it.


Reality I always knew, and hope not to forget, is unreal.


6 comments:

  1. "'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'" (Whizz for Atomms)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm, we are reality, we create reality, or should i say realities, because there are infinite realities we are experiencing on many levels that we may not be consciously (as in with our limited minds) aware of

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember playing Quarterdeck B football at school on the pitch that went uphill at both ends and was partially wooded. It was for boys who were not tres sportifs. The boys who had polio, the Persian boy, the boy who was good with fabrics, the boy who had been born backwards, the boy with very thick glassses, and me of course. My philosophical conversations by the goalmouth with Alex Tosh or Brooke Hanson were almost precisely the same as Molesworth and Fotherington-Thomas at St. Custards:

    "Wot is yore opinion of colin wilson, the new philosopher?' sa fotherington-tomas, hanging by his weedy heels from the crossbar.

    'Advanced, forthright, signifficant,' i repli, kicking off the mud from my footer boots . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my short fat Bengali friend quoting Schopenhauer's more misogynistic aphorisms to me in the gym when we were 12. Moment of happiness in the hell of school life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have something to say about what is reality and what is not,and the line separating is perfectly clear,absolute,but I just can't utter it or I will surely go to hell.

    ReplyDelete