Friday, 17 January 2014

One quarter of Bucharest's population are not on Facebook

SHARE
Only 1.4 million people in Bucharest are on Facebook. That means half a million aren't. I suppose that includes the many people who do not have access to a computer or smartphone, the old, the illiterate, the homeless, the people in gaol and a few introverts.

I who was very badly adicted indeed - posting up to six or seven posts a day - have suspended my account for more than two weeks and am loving the time and space I have. More difficult is not to use the internet at the weekend and in the evening but I am having some success with this too. The result, I have finished two great books I had set aside as I set aside most books because of the internet and I feel alive. The internet seduces you by stimulating thought but drains you of life, enervates you.

2 comments:

  1. I see you aren't on it at the moment either. I hope that doesn't mean you've left permanently, or that you've blocked me for some reason... Do come back soon! (This is Jonathan from Ely Cathedral, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall never block you, Jonathan - I am taking a well-earned break from it.

      Delete