Friday, 11 April 2014

Admiral Zumwalt fought racism and sexism

SHARE

This curious article about a battleship named after a retired U.S. admiral confirms me in my scepticism about the U.S. armed forces. When I saw them at close quarters in Berlin in the 1980s they seemed completely unwarlike.


The Admiral 'fought racism and sexism' the obituary begins. This reminds me of Oscar Wilde's line, 

'The General was essentially a man of peace, except in his domestic life'. 
I am afraid I do not believe in sexual equality in the armed forces.

2 comments:

  1. "I am afraid I do not believe in sexual equality in the armed forces."

    Quite right. Although it may sound deeply old-fashioned, I do not believe war is women's province.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always enamoured with the female Soviet snipers in The Great Patriotic War. And todays Air Force pilots can drop bombs as accurately as any man.

    ReplyDelete