Sunday, 6 December 2015

More quotations

SHARE
Balfour when young - a chaste young bachelor known in the House as Pretty Fanny


He has only half learned the art of reading who has not added to it the more refined art of skipping and skimming.

A. J. Balfour


As you know, I never read a book.

Isaiah Berlin (but Paul Johnson said he was a skimmer of genius). I unfortunately have not really learnt this art with books but on the net I am a skimmer of genius. 

A.J. Balfour pointed out that all the many philosophical arguments for why murder is wrong had nothing in common with each other except their conclusion. It is almost, he said, as if the authors started with the conclusion and worked backwards. I don't have his essays to hand to quote exactly.

The man who loses his temper makes himself ridiculous.


Harold Nicolson

1 comment:

  1. David in Banja Luka9 December 2015 at 17:41

    Paul,

    Here's one I read on the Hertz courtesy bus carrying me HR Terminal 5 this morning (it immediately brought you to mind):

    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

    And this, which I may have sent you previously:

    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" - Augustine of Hippo

    ReplyDelete