Thursday, 3 December 2015

Should the UK bomb ISIS? I need to think about it

SHARE
I have been too busy to think about whether or not I want us to bomb Syria but I know these things. 1. The ISIS attack in Paris is a lot less worrying than Germany letting in maybe millions of migrants settle in Germany. 2. For reasons i do not understand the UK and France (and USA) will use intervention in Syria to try to overthrow the Syrian government. 3. The Syrian government though utterly vile and disgusting is better than the realistic alternatives. 4. The problem is not in the Middle East but in Europe and the other rich countries. 5. ISIS will have done Europe a huge favour if people see the danger of islamisation. 6. This is unlikely to happen because of high minded, kind hearted, articulate people with good intentions. 7. I am angry with those good people rather than with ISIS.

2 comments:

  1. I am angry with those of base intention, bare faced hypocrisy and a vision that always returns an us and them picture. The only quote ( apart from a rather queer working of Thackery in the film adaptation of Barry Lyndon ) that come to mind over the whole affair is this one.
    "Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." ~Hermann Goering

    I think Mr Cameron's actions in denouncing anyone who disagreed with the attack as terrorist sympathisers will haunt his future successes more than that pigs head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As to my views on Putin/ Erdogan/Assad or Mr Cameron come to that I prefer none of the above. Yet while Putin and his thugs killed my finance Director and friend , Erdogans family swindled me in a resource deal, Assads father had me branded like a steer and Mr Cameron is just , well, somewhat lacking in scruples it has not lead me to a position where I damn all Russians, Turks, Syrians or Brits come to that.

    ReplyDelete