Saturday, 30 January 2016

Cruelty, boldness, language, vice

SHARE

I am afraid that woman appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters, all the same. They love being dominated. 
Lord Henry Wotton in Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray

Every woman adores a Fascist.
Sylvia Plath


The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn’t live boldly enough, that they didn’t invest enough heart, didn’t love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. 
Ted Hughes

Learning another language is to acquire another soul. 
Goethe

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
Thomas Jefferson

She'll still trudge on in tasteless Vice,
As if she sinn'd for Exercise.
Lord Rochester

3 comments:

  1. Nothing like a homosexual with extremely poor judgment to know women inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I amended the post to ascribe the cruelty quotation to Lord Henry Wotton, one of Wilde's 'professional cynic' characters or, in Wilde's own words, 'myself as the world sees me' (vs Dorian Gray (...what I would like to be) and Basil Hallward (...what I think I am).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rochester, of course, was also bisexual but preferred girls.

    ReplyDelete