Sunday, 23 October 2016

What a difference a year makes

SHARE
This is something I wrote from Beirut a year ago today. Then I thought it would shock or even anger many people. Now you'd have had to have lived in a cave for the last ten months to find it in the least surprising.
In Beirut. I asked my taxi driver about the refugees from Syria. They cause no problems, he said, "but we are a poor country". Then he mentioned the migrants in Europe and without stating mine I asked his opinion."It's very bad. I lived in Italy for ten years and know what they're like. They're thieves and bad people." I asked him his religion, a question that I know can cause offence in the Lebanon, to check for anti Muslim bias. "I'm half and half. My father's Muslim, my mother's Christian".

No comments:

Post a Comment