Tuesday, 3 January 2017

2016 was a wonderful year

SHARE
If you want to understand why I think 2016 was a wonderful year, I refer you to what I said at the end of 2015. I said that that year was 

a very tragic turning point in world history, because of Germany's inexplicable decision to take in a million soi disant refugees. The murders by ISIS in Paris might be a very useful wake up call for us to be conscious of Europe's huge demographic change, but alas I doubt it will wake up our rulers. If only we had a De Gaulle instead of being governed by the students of 1968 now become fat cat Eurocrats, quangocrats and university lecturers. And the quixotic daughter of an East German Communist pastor.

What a difference a year makes. The people have woken up and things begin to change. I am doubtful that 2017 will see further big changes like Brexit and President Trump, but I think both of these are going to do a lot of good. The people like a sleeping giant has awoken.


A lot of famous people died in 2016 but the only famous death that moved me was William Trevor's. And slightly Ronnie Corbett's who endured motor neurone disease.


I hadn't listened to Leonard Cohen nor Bowie except for Major Tom, a great song. What does sadden me is the people who have died in Syria and Yemen. And the drowned migrants for whose deaths Angela Merkel is, I'm afraid, to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment