Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Andrew Hutchinson has died

SHARE
Andrew Hutchinson, who was deputy editor of the Telegraph, has died.


I knew his daughter and through her met him. His first words to me were 'I don't know why you're here but I can tell you one thing. You won't leave here with a job.'

I remember I told him the best thing about the Telegraph was the obituaries. He replied, 'You're probably right.'
Then he sent me to obituaries to see if they had work for me. There I met Damian Thompson who greeted me with the question: 'What religion are you?'


I said: 'I'm a papist'. This was the right answer because he said: 'Good. We're all papists here and we want to keep it that way.'
I should have got into journalism and would have loved working for the dear old Telegraph but other things happened.

His obituary makes him sound a lovely man and we could have talked about 'The Hunting of the Snark' and Mervyn Peake.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought of you as a possible literary mortician, Paul. I suppose people were dying to get into the Obituaries at the Telegraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Telegraph obituaries take as their inspiration Aubrey's Brief Lives and are a wonderful history of the 20th century. http://pvewood.blogspot.ro/2012/05/funniest-piece-of-writing-i-ever-read.html

      Delete