Friday, 24 February 2017

Opinions

SHARE

"The problem is that having cast out the elite, we have no-one with a CV left to hire. Trump's revolutionaries tripped over their own shoelaces. Proposing to put the One China policy on the table in trade negotiations, or hinting at the breakup of the European Union, or extending overtures to the European alternative right, were really dangerous errors. China will fight a war to keep Taiwan in its territory--it is not a subject for negotiation. If the EU breaks up, Germany will move east (Germany and China are now each other's largest trading partners). Angela Merkel is awful (and I've attacked her in print for the past year and more) but she's better than the bunch of Putin puppets who would replace her. (I don't mind making a deal with Putin as long as it is from a position of American strength)."
David Goldman (who writes as Spengler in the Asia Times)
"That is what Britain now is.
A country in which the Christian Democratic Left seeks to enact as much as possible of the Social Democratic Left's programme while holding it up as a bogeyman for electoral purposes.
It seems to be working."
David Lindsay


[Trump is] "the greatest public speaker … since William Jennings Bryan". Steve Bannon.

(I had seen a similarity between the two too. It is remarkable that he speaks without notes or autocue, like Gladstone and Disraeli did.)

"'For me, I was surprised,” said Nur Essa, a Muslim Syrian woman whose family was brought to Rome from Lesbos by Pope Francis. “(He is) very open to all of the cultures, all of the religions, and he sets an example for all the religious people in the world, because he uses religion to serve the human being.'"

(I am sure he doesn't. I imagine Nur Essa spoke without thinking, though some conservative Catholics would argue that she stumbled on the truth.)

6 comments:

  1. Pope Francis said on Wednesday it was better to be an Athiest than a hypocritical Catholic. Have you considered this?

    Dante

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How come you don't agree with him?

      Delete
  2. He was talking about hypocrites in the true sense of the word, imposters who put on a false appearance of virtue or religion. He said: "Scandal is saying one thing and doing another; it is a double life, a double life. A totally double life: ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this association and that one; but my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my workers a just wage, I exploit people, I am dirty in my business, I launder money…’ A double life. And so many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others. How many times have we heard – all of us, around the neighbourhood and elsewhere – ‘but to be a Catholic like that, it’s better to be an atheist.’"


    Brendan Behan said: “I am a bad Catholic, the religion of all great artists”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would Trump need notes?
    All his speeches go something like this:
    "I am great...I tell you, folks, I am great...Believe me, I am the greatest. The press is bad, it's terrible, I tell you, it's a disaster. Fox news- good...But i tell you, I am the best and...I will make America great again..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trump is not a great speaker,but he may be an effective one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be at least 6 months before we can form an opinion about this phenomenon. What we know is that he a great troll and, as Scott Adams keeps saying a master manipulator. What effect will he have worldwide I wonder.

      Delete