Thursday, 27 April 2017

Idle thoughts of an idle fellow

SHARE
The dividing line between idleness and work is very unclear. Where does blogging fit in, especially posting thoughts about idleness when I should be on my way to the office?

Failure is not the only penalty for sloth. There is also the success of others. Jacques Renard
If you're not ready to pay the price for success (because you think it's too much hard work), then be ready to pay the price for failure. Peter Istrate 
Work is more fun than fun. Sir Noel Coward
It is often laziness and timidity that keep us within our duty while virtue gets all the credit. Duc de La Rochefoucauld
I need my natural laziness to be counteracted by obsession in order to do anything. Vikram Seth
The dignity of manual labour is a specifically bourgeois invention. I don't know who said this.

Crooks, psychopaths and conmen are incapable of work but their lies and strategems involve a lot of hard work.

All pastimes resemble work. Sports, for example, which reminds me of something Dr. Johnson said

It is very strange, and very melancholy, that the paucity of human pleasures should persuade us ever to call hunting one of them.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting quotes. As a Catholic, I am very aware of the sanctifying nature of "work". If Jesus could labor in obscurity for many years, who am I to question? I feel the same way about the family unit (man dad woman mom + children). God could have had the savior appear in anyway He wanted. But, He chose the family. THOSE are very strengthening and sustaining graces, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work is more fun than fun. Sir Noel Coward

    Amazing how the people who say things like this usually don't have to dig ditches for a living.

    ReplyDelete