Wednesday, 17 May 2017

Four quotations

SHARE
"I just want to see the universities closed down, except for Oxford and Cambridge. I think they have all been a terrible mistake." Philip Larkin
"I can tell you how to abolish unemployment. Abolish unemployment benefit." That was also Larkin. It shocked me when I first heard it quoted by Charles Moore in the 1980s, but no longer does.
I wonder what Larkin would have thought of Donald Trump. I think he'd have approved, except for the teetotalism.

"For generational reasons, Mr Macron might be the first post-national president of France, the first to believe in the European project as an end in itself as well as an alternative instrument for French glory after the eclipse of empire." Janan Ganesh in the Financial Times. 

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself: Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew. How can you reprove any one with gentleness, when you correct yourself with asperity?" St Francis de Sales

3 comments:

  1. Philip Larkin, a dignified individual, would have laughed at Trump's buffoonery and particularly at his lack of impulse control, which has gotten Trump in a lot of trouble lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened to your America post?

    Truth hurts huh. Coward.

    Here are some quotes for you. Tell me how you like them.

    I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire, God would never trust an Englishman in the dark
    Duncan Spaeth

    A pirate spreading misery and ruin over the face of the ocean
    Thomas Jefferson speaking of Britain

    An Englishman will burn his bed to catch a flea
    Turkish saying

    England will fight to the last American.
    American saying, coined c.1917

    Get the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took it down because you were clearly offended and I feared other of my American readers might be. I now put it back up. I can't see that I said anything offensive or snobbish.

      Delete