Sunday, 9 July 2017

7 quotations

SHARE

Cecily: ''When I see a spade, I call it a spade".
Gwendolyn: "I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different."
The Importance of Being Earnest


No man is forgotten when it is convenient to remember him.
Disraeli




The only thing that stops God from sending another flood is that the first one was useless. Comte de Chamfort


There are two things that one must get used to or one will find life unendurable: the damages of time and injustices of men. Comte de Chamfort


Manners are especially the need of the plain. The pretty can get away with anything. Evelyn Waugh

It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But it is better to be good than to be ugly. Oscar Wilde



If you talk to any expat, there's a luxury you have about being a foreigner. You can get away with murder, basically.
Dame Kristin Scott Thomas, who moved to France aged 19. I actually don't know what she meant by this though Romania is wonderfully kind and patient with foreigners.

4 comments:

  1. “What is patriotism but love of the good things we ate in our childhood?”

    Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I asked a Hungarian in the Szecklerland in Transylvania if he were a Hungarian nationalist and he said: No, I'm a me nationalist. A me and the people I love nationalist.

      Delete
    2. Shaw said love of food was the sincerest form of love. I'm slightly peckish now and the best pizza in Romania is sold in a shop in Lipscani by my flat, so I know what he means.

      Delete