Friday, 28 August 2026

Don't support Hezbollah or Iran if you live in Great Britain. Supporting Russia is dangerous in Czechia and quite a few other places.

I don't support Russia, just so you know. 

The 1978 Israeli invasion of Lebanon was provoked by PLO attacks on Israel launched from Lebanon but the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982 was triggered by the attempted assassination of Israel's ambassador in London by gunmen from Abu Nidal, a rival, dissident Palestinian group separate from and often at war with the PLO. 

Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin chose to blame the PLO for the attack and used it as a casus belli. 

This was the invasion which brought Hezbollah into existence, midwived partly by Iran. 

If you choose you can call Hezbollah terrorists and Iran a sponsor of terrorism for fighting the Israeli invasion but it seems a wholly subjective matter. 

Every move in the Arab-Israeli conflict is in response to an earlier thing until you get back to the Balfour Declaration. 

That's where it all begins.

I remember Stephen Pollard, editor of the Jewish Chronicle, tweeting that he would block any Neanderthal anti-Semite who denied that Hezbollah was a threat to the United Kingdom and I fell on his sword.

On the other hand, let me be clear that I am not saying anything in support of Hezbollah.  

If I did so, thanks to the change in the law for which he was arguing, I could be arrested as I walked down the steps of the next plane I take to England and I could get 14 years in prison. 

Expressing support for the Iranian government or the regular Iranian military (the Artesh) is generally not illegal in the UK, as long as your statements do not support the IRGC. Under a recent legal change support for the IRGC gets you up to 14 years inside and the IRGC is enmeshed with the armed services. It is also illegal to support Iranian violence, but war means violence. Supporting the Iranian regime's violent suppression of domestic protesters or its foreign attacks violates UK anti-terrorism and national security laws.

Can an Englishman still say that he hopes Iran defeats the USA and gets the Americans to leave the Middle East? I think so but am not at all sure. It may depends on a jury.

Great caution is advisable. 

Supporting the IDF's actions in Gaza and Lebanon or the USAF bombing schoolgirls is absolutely legal.

"Freedom is England's secret weapon" said Stanley Baldwin.

'It's a free country' stroppy girls in England used to say if you asked if you could sit on the seat next to them but I don't imagine anyone says it now. It obviously is not. 

Nobody seems to care. 

Nobody argues the UK or the EU should copy the US First Amendment permitting free speech.

The USA is the only rich country left that still has free speech which used to be the norm in democratic countries until the 1960s cultural revolution. 

Talking of which the latest Intel Round Table is well worth watching, if you are not in Czechia. 

A Czech who wrote an article deemed pro-Russian was done for justifying genocide. I read this over breakfast years ago to the founder of the British Libertarian Party who said his conviction was well deserved. 

Eastern Europe had a short period of free speech after 1989.

2 comments:

  1. "So, the whole charade of Western liberal democracy is as much of a corpse under the rubble as the tens of thousands of Palestinians.” Arundhati Roy.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Glenn Diesen
    @Glenn_Diesen

    To understand why Europe seems increasingly detached from reality, look at the restrictions placed on speech and common sense. Arguing that Russia is winning the war is smeared and censored as Russian propaganda; arguing that NATO provoked the war is dismissed as a Kremlin talking point, etc. Ad hominem attacks are now the norm. The only government-approved arguments seem to be that this is a battle between good and evil, NATO is a non-participant merely “helping” Ukraine, and Russia is losing. Why recognising that Russia is winning is supposedly “pro-Russian” is never explained.

    ReplyDelete