Tuesday 9 May 2023

Quotations

SHARE







Just over a century after Gutenberg's press began its clattering Michel de Montaigne, a French aristocrat, had been able to amass a personal library of some 1,500 books - something unimaginable for an individual of any earlier European generation. The library gave him more than knowledge. It gave him friends. "When I am attacked by gloomy thoughts," he wrote, "nothing helps me so much as running to my books. They quickly absorb me and banish the clouds from my mind."
"The Age of Pseudocognition" The Economist, April 22nd 2023

I left the army after serving in the Six-Day War. I had a Vespa, but no money, so I rode from one house to another entertaining parties of distinguished guests. One day Golda Meir, prime minister of Israel, came to one of these parties. I walk over to her and give her a piece of paper and a pen.
I tell her to go to the loo, lock herself in and draw a symbol on the paper, fold it and come back and I’ll tell her what she drew. She says no-one can read my mind, but I did. I said she drew the Star of David, which she did.
The next day she was being interviewed on Israeli radio and the presenter asked what her predictions were for the future of Israel. Without hesitation she said, "don’t ask me, ask Uri Geller!" I was living in a one room apartment opposite a graveyard in Tel Aviv, and immediately the phone started ringing with offers.
Uri Geller, interviewed in Daily Telegraph, 7th May 2023

If there is one thing you could change about your life, what would it be?
I believe in synchronicity. I believe you are born and you live your life. You know what, I wouldn’t change anything.
Ibid.





No comments:

Post a Comment