Saturday, 19 September 2026

Postcard from Rome at dawn


You don't have to be American to consider a statue dated 11 AD or as Americans would say 11 ACE as old. It says renovatis. That's an understatement I suspect.

I'd love to demolish that hideous building on the far right of the first picture, reminding us of Piedmont's triumph over Italy and the Church, the triumph of freemasons and liberals. 

It only goes to show that unification doesn't usually work, whether unification of Europe or unification of Italy. 

On the whole I think the unification of Romania was a good thing although it was a bad thing for the Transylvanians who would otherwise have been part of Austria Hungary.

I abominate tourists, of course, but they have two saving graces: they're very lazy and very unimaginative. At dawn you have the place to yourself and it's not warm. "He made a solitude and called it peace" words of Tacitus from a different context come into my mind.

The bas-reliefs on Trajan's Column are not nearly so good as the copies in Bucharest because of pollution. 


'Has it ever occurred to you that the Romans counted backwards? Be honest.' Sellers & Yeatman 




No comments:

Post a Comment