Friday 6 November 2015

The boiled egg story

SHARE
I told my boiled egg story just now for the first time in over 20 years and Andrei at the office laughed uncontrollably. Apart from him and my father no-one I told it to ever found it even faintly amusing which is possibly why I stopped telling it.

The late Norman St John Stevas told it to me. When Walter Bagehot was 3 he attended his first breakfast party given by his grandfather and there came across his first boiled egg. He stared at it in wonder and his grandfather said to him, 
'Hit it hard, Walter. It has no friends.'

 (Thought. Did he laugh because I am the boss?)

2 comments:

  1. It reminds me of the Critics review of the Curates' egg.

    " It was bad, especially in parts "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bishop: "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones"; Curate: "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!"
      As this morning I ate and enjoyed greatly the parts of the strawberries in the punnet that were not furry I sympathise with the curate.

      Delete