Tuesday 10 July 2018

Trump's visit to Britain is going to be richly comic.Think Evelyn Waugh. I cannot wait.

SHARE


'Donald Trump has said it is for the British people to decide if Theresa May should stay on as Prime Minister and suggested he will meet Boris Johnson during his visit to the UK.
'Speaking on the White House lawn, the US President said that Mr Johnson is "a great friend of mine" and said that the UK is in "turmoil". He suggested that his meeting with Vladimir Putin will be "easier" than his meeting with Mrs May.
'He said: "I have Nato, I have the UK which is in somewhat turmoil, and I have Putin. Frankly Putin may be the easiest of all. Who would think, who would think.

'"The UK certainly have a lot of things going on. Boris Johnson is a friend of mine. He has been very nice to me. Very supportive. Maybe we'll speak to him when I get over there. I like Boris Johnson. I've always liked him."'


Theresa May insists that Donald Trump and Nigel Farage must not meet while the former is in England, but must is not a word to use to princes or Mr Trump. It's her 'red line'. It would be funny if he defies her. I wonder if her red line is treated with as much respect as the red lines she announced in respect of the Brexit negotiations.

2 comments:

  1. One must love Trump's concise communication style; both amusing and serious; brilliant!
    Yes, all in all British public life has become an ongoing comedy: from royal weddings to the fake poisonings to the fake brexit, and so on..

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who solemnly extol the virtues of hierarchy somehow think Trump's brazen, gloating rudeness to an ally is just fine. Well well.

    ReplyDelete