Friday 24 December 2021

Yet more quotations

SHARE
“I think unemployment is the great affliction of man. Even people with jobs are unemployed. In fact, most people with jobs are unemployed.”
Leonard Cohen

"If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me."
Alice Roosevelt Longworth

"Aristocracy may have its faults but ratocracy, which is what in practice a meritocratic system produces, is proving even worse."
Peregrine Worsthorne

"They all laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now"
Bob Monkhouse

"My advice to myself: Be yourself; there is no other you. Don't perform and achieve in order to accept and be happy with yourself. Accept and be happy with yourself and let your performance flow out of that self-acceptance and happiness. Don't hold yourself to an imaginary standard; the standard is you."
Michael Rectenwald

“I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers.”
Henry David Thoreau

“I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.”
Albert Einstein

"What % of people voted leave so they could have blue passports? ~0%. What % of people voted leave so Britain could decide for itself questions such as what colour its passports should be? ~52%."
Tweet by Andrew Lilico (@andrew_lilico) December 22, 2017

"The drunkenness of things being various."
Louis MacNeice

"It's only work if somebody makes you do it."
Calvin and Hobbes

"The Sexual Revolution is a complete rebellion against authority, natural and supernatural, even against the body and its needs, its natural functions of child bearing. This is not reverence for life, it is a great denial and more resembles Nihilism than the revolution that they think they are furthering."
Dorothy Day

“These memories, which are my life — for we possess nothing certainly except the past — were always with me. Like the pigeons of St. Mark’s, they were everywhere, under my feet, singly, in pairs, in little honey-voiced congregations, nodding, strutting, winking, rolling the tender feathers of their necks, perching sometimes, if I stood still, on my shoulder or pecking a broken biscuit from between my lips; until, suddenly, the noon gun boomed and in a moment, with a flutter and sweep of wings, the pavement was bare and the whole sky above dark with a tumult of fowl.”
Evelyn Waugh, Brideshead Revisited

"The past is attractive because it is drained of fear."
Carlyle

"The fact is that the people of Europe are losing their homelands, and therefore losing their place in the world. I don’t envisage the Tiber one day foaming with much blood, nor do I see it blushing as the voice of the muezzin sounds from the former cathedral of St. Peter. But the city through which the Tiber flows will one day cease to be Italian, and all the expectations of its former residents, whether political, social, cultural, or personal, will suffer a violent upheaval, with results every bit as interesting as those that Powell prophesied."
Sir Roger Scuton

"It is possible, though hard, to forge a United Kingdom made up of many ethnicities. Leaders like Mr Cameron are right to try to insist on common standards and better rules, rather than to despair. But whatever it is, and however well it turns out, it cannot be England. Perhaps when I am very old, my grandchildren will ask me what England was. It will be a hard question to answer, but I think I shall tell them that it seemed like a good idea while it lasted, and that it lasted for about 1,000 years."
Charles Moore, former editor of the Daily Telegraph and the Spectator and Margaret Thatcher's official biographer. 

“Dieu me pardonnera - c'est son metier.”
Heine's last words.

"Practice only impossibilities."
John Lyly

4 comments:

  1. Mgr Alfred Gilbey: 'But you know what I get from all your questions? This awful and mistaken belief that everyone's created equal. We come into a family and the father is the head of the family. Society is hierarchical, not a collection of equals.'

    Sir John Mortimer, as he then wasn't: `Isn't it easy for you to say that when you were born at the top of the tree? But if you'd been a child from the back streets of Liverpool, wouldn't you have tried to break down the hierarchical order?'



    Mgr Gilbey: `I suppose it's natural to want to better yourself, but it can so easily lead to materialism. We shouldn't worry about our position in society. One of my favourite quotations is from St Peter of Alcantara, when he remarked to a friend who was bewailing the wickedness of the world, "You and I must first be what we ought to be and then we shall have cured what concerns ourselves. Let each one do the same and all will be well."'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biden: "Let's Go Brandon, I agree."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3FhBQymPg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biden visiting kids at Children's Hospital filmed in the Costco Wholesale Atrium studio

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpOqSxre5Lc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vaccine humor:

    https://cdn.substack.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd192f889-557a-433e-a6e5-5ff19f620f3d_369x434.png

    ReplyDelete