Sunday 22 March 2020

Quotations for Sunday morning

SHARE
“I quote others only in order the better to express myself.” Montaigne

“To be left alone is the most precious thing one can ask of the modern world.” Anthony Burgess, Homage To Qwert Yuiop

“I've spent my entire life playing it safe.. just to avoid being exactly where I am right now.” This Is Where I Leave You (2014) 


“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

"The salutary effect of surviving a heart-attack: One felt that nothing mattered beyond kindness, good manners and humour." Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd



“What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it.” Gabriel Garcia Marquez

“Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble.” Carl Jung


"Employers sense in me a denial of their values.' He rolled over onto his back. 'They fear me. I suspect that they can see that I am forced to function in a century I loathe. This was true even when I worked for the New Orleans Public Library.” Ignatius O'Reilly in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces




Image may contain: possible text that says 'FIRST TIME IN HISTORY WE CAN SAVE THE HUMAN RACE BY LYING IN FRONT OF THE T.V. AND DOING NOTHING LETS NOT SCREW THIS UP'

(Apostrophe missing which is a shame.)

1 comment:

  1. “I believe firmly in the value of all vulgar notions, especially of vulgar jokes. When once you have got hold of a vulgar joke, you may be certain that you have got hold of a subtle and spiritual idea. The men who made the joke saw something deep which they could not express except by something silly and emphatic.”

    “In order to understand vulgar humour it is not enough to be humourous; one must also be vulgar, as I am.”

    G.K. Chesterton
    “Popular Jokes and Vulgarity”

    ReplyDelete