Thursday 23 July 2020

Quotations

SHARE
“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”


H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: Third Series



"I have criticised Trump for psychological flaws including his volatility, his lapses into an alternative reality and his poor leadership over the pandemic. Yet I also believe that, if the increasingly radicalised Democrats return to power, America will be lost." 


Melanie Phillips, The Times, July 15




"Back in the Nineties, I wrote about the symmetry between the hyper-individualism of the left, in the social and cultural sphere, and the hyper-individualism of their opponents, expressed through economics. My protestations that I hadn’t become right wing generally provoked much hilarity. But I was merely against the left, which is not the same as being right wing or any kind of wing.


As I see it, the great divide is between narcissistic fantasists who want to remake the world in their image and realists who want to uphold and defend the nation, society and civilisation they share with others."


Melanie Phillips, The Times, July 15






No comments:

Post a Comment