Sunday 17 July 2011

'Nothing, like something, happens anywhere.'

SHARE
‎'You look as though you wished the place in Hell,' My friend said, 'judging from your face.' 'Oh well, I suppose it's not the place's fault,' I said.
'Nothing, like something, happens anywhere.' 


Larkin's lines on his home town Coventry (of which his father a Nazi sympathiser was Town Clerk during the war) apply to my home town Southend-on-Sea but also alas to Cambridge. Not to Bucharest thank God. But entropy is the default setting of mankind, I suppose.


Derek  Turner has sent me this wonderful article about Coventry. He is clearly a true conservative of the right sort, guided by love of his country and of the past. It does repay reading even though I did not like poor crucified Coventry on my only visit.  



No comments:

Post a Comment