Tuesday, 6 October 2026

LNG: there's nought so queer as folks

SHARE
I was reading shortly after the beginning of the Ukrainian war that America was pressing her allies (vassals) for sanctions against Russian energy in order to sell LNG. 

I'm deeply ashamed to say that I thought that, at the time, unnecessarily cynical, which was, of course, absurd of me. War fever, I suppose, got the better of me. It can be infectious although I think I'm inoculated against it now. 

Great Britain is the biggest European importer of American LNG if you consider that Britain is in Europe. Of course, as an island it can't be any more European than Cyprus or Malta but that's considered pedantic. 

Most EU countries now buy very large amounts of exorbitantly priced American LNG, particularly Germany, Italy and Spain.  Ireland, Denmark, Cyprus. Malta and Latvia do not and nor do the Balkan countries which is why Miss Guilfoyle is so actively trying to sell LNG around the region from her embassy in Athens.

The question of her exact relationship with the good-looking man constantly at her side who is working for the company selling one particular brand of LNG is really irrelevant. 

She's working on behalf of the U.S. government, meaning Donald Trump and I'm quite sure that he thoroughly approves of her brutality in bringing about the downfall of the last recalcitrant Romanian government. 

France, to her credit, continues to import Russian gas as well as buy LNG.

South Korea is negotiating about buying exorbitantly expensive Alaskan LNG because it wants US defence support. India has increased its imports of LNG from $10 million to $25 million in order to avoid punitive American tariffs. Vietnam, Taiwan and China have bought massive amounts of the American gas. 

Yet people talk about the threat to the world economy from Iran. 

People are curious. 

No that's not true. People are incurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment