Thursday 23 April 2020

Happy St George's Day

SHARE
On St George’s Day, I’d just like to let you know about two other patron saints of England who were favoured by Richard II, seen here kneeling in the wonderful Wilton Diptych (now in the National Gallery in London) : left to right, my patron saint St Edmund the Martyr, St Edward the Confessor, and St John the Baptist, barefoot with lamb and blanket. 

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing


SS. Edmund and Edward have crowns because they were kings.

Richard II seems to have been less keen on St George, installed not long before by Edward III as patron saint of England in place of St Edward the Confessor.

St Edmund of East Anglia ('the Martyr') is my patron saint. He was killed by infidel migrants who conquered his country and in time all of England.

I have two close Romanian friends whose birthday this is and when I spoke to Lara just now her daughter told me it was her birthday too, because she is Georgia.

Which put me in mind of my favourite song, which I proceeded to sing the first lines of in tune. My father said they'd never write a better song than Georgia and he was right.


What better way to celebrate St George's Day than listening to the original version of Georgia On My Mind?





1 comment:

  1. 'Georgia On My Mind'

    Thanks.

    From YT:
    'This original version of Hoagy’s ode to the Peach State was recorded at the final session to feature jazz legend Bix Beiderbecke, who died less than a year later. Joe Venuti, Eddie Lang, Jimmy Dorsey, Jack Teagarden, and Bud Freeman were among the other players that day at Victor’s 24th St.'

    The great Jack Teagarden:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MlFCDcP2zM

    ReplyDelete