Saturday 18 August 2012

This week's quotations

SHARE


"The great are only great because they want to be." - Charles de Gaulle

'Theologians say the soul has no sex but I wonder. I very much wonder.' Coleridge
“I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.”
― Noël Coward

"Les savants ne sont pas curieux." Anatole France

"Only the dead have seen the end of War." Plato



"But what matters an eternity of damnation to one who has found an infinity of joy in a single second?" - Charles Baudelaire


"I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the Modern Man. But I shall not use it to kill him – only to bring him to life."-- G. K. Chesterton

"I was born a Tory. Define: a Tory is a person who regards authority as immanent in institutions. I had always been, as far back as I could remember in my existence, a respecter of institutions, a respecter of monarchy, a respecter of the deposit of history, a respecter of everything in which authority was capable of being embodied, and that must surely be what the Conservative Party was about, the Conservative Party as the party of the maintenance of acknowledged prescriptive authority." - Enoch Powell


"Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." - Goethe


"I remember once in London the realization coming over me, of the whole of its inhabitants lying horizontal a hundred years hence. The smallness and emptiness of life sometimes overwhelmed me." Lord Tennyson

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle." Steve Jobs

No comments:

Post a Comment