Wednesday 10 January 2024

Quotations

SHARE
Seen on Facebook:



All accounts wishing to remain on Twitter/X must obtain a notarized affidavit affirming Israel's right to exist


"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." Saki

"The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened." Saki

"To me, it’s enchanting to run around with singers, actresses, staying up all night, going to all sorts of parties. I’d like to run around with many beautiful women, different every day. And never work. But then I couldn’t write. And the only thing I ever wanted to do in life was write.” Gabriel García Márquez

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” Gabriel García Márquez

“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” 
Gabriel García Márquez

"The study of philosophy aims not at knowing what men feel, but at what is the truth of things." St. Thomas Aquinas

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me." Alice Roosevelt Longworth



Some favourite lines from Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

“If I am occasionally overdressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.”


“If you are not too long, I will wait for you all my life.”


"Cecily: When I see a spade I call it a spade.
Gwendolen: I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different."


“Lady Bracknell: Is this Miss Prism a female of repellent aspect, remotely connected with education?

Chasuble: (Somewhat indignantly) She is the most cultivated of ladies, and the very picture of respectability.

Lady Bracknell: It is obviously the same person.”



"Lady Bracknell: The General was essentially a man of peace, except in his domestic life. But I have no doubt his name would appear in any military directory."

2 comments: