Monday 1 April 2019

EU, breaker of nations

SHARE
Jean-Claude Juncker today called David Cameron a great destroyer. This is not the first time. Apparently in March 2017,  Mr Juncker said: 

“I have met in my life two big destroyers: Gorbachev, who destroyed the Soviet Union, and Cameron, who destroyed the United Kingdom to some extent."
In the past the EU took offence at analogies between the EU and the USSR or with the Nazi plan for a United Europe. Am I right in suspecting a nostalgia on the Luxembourger's part for the Soviet Union?  

I do not suspect the Christian Social leader of being a Communist but of sympathy for dirigiste multinational, post-national authoritarian entities. The USSR, like the EEC/EC/EU, was internationalist and always proclaimed that it wanted to save Europe from war and Nazi revanchism.

David Cameron, breaker of nations - that reminds me of the tile of a very good book by Robert Conquest called Stalin, Breaker of Nations. I think the UK will not break up because of Brexit whatever happens, but the EU is in fact the breaker of nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment