Tuesday 16 May 2023

Quotations

SHARE
"I just want to see the universities closed down, except for Oxford and Cambridge. I think they have all been a terrible mistake." Philip Larkin. Oxford and Cambridge are dreadful now too.

"We are American at puberty. We die French." 
Evelyn Waugh

 "Western man towers over the rest of the world in ways so large as to be almost inexpressible. It's Western exploration, science, and conquest that have revealed the world to itself. Other races feel like subjects of Western power long after colonialism, imperialism, and slavery have disappeared. The charge of racism puzzles whites who feel not hostility, but only baffled good will, because they don't grasp what it really means: humiliation. The white man presents an image of superiority even when he isn't conscious of it. And, superiority excites envy. Destroying white civilisation is the inmost desire of the league of designated victims we call minorities." Joseph Sobran

"For my part, I've always considered feminists to be amiable dimwits, harmless in principle, but unfortunately made dangerous by their disarming lack of lucidity. So, in the 1970s you could see them fighting for contraception, abortion, sexual freedom, etc., just as if the 'patriarchal system' was an invention of wicked males, when the historical aim of men had obviously been to fuck as many girls as possible without have to face the burden of a family." Michel Houellebecq

"It is the achievement of Christianity at all times and in all places to have raised the condition of women." Mr Gladstone. I once quoted this to a young priest at Brentwood cathedral and asked him if he thought it could go too far. He replied, "It can go much too far." He was a friend of Mgr Gilbey and not a progressive.

Aged 19 I told Enoch Powell I had just seen a policeman who looked young. He told me the time to worry was when bishops started looking young. (In my 40s I saw an attractive female judge but only when someone posted a photograph of a good looking Ukrainian bishop on Facebook did I know that I had crossed the threshold. In Stockholm Cathedral in 2006 I saw a beautiful, female bishop. At least I was told she was a bishop. I might have been misinformed. The present Bishop is female but, alas, far from comely.)

According to , the United States sells arms to 57% of all the world’s autocratic countries. During the Cold War, we did that because at least these countries were anti-communist. Now what is the excuse?

2 comments:

  1. You have repeated that Houellebecq quote a second time. You must really like the contempt for women that radiates from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not repeated it. I checked. It does not radiate contempt for women. It does criticise feminists. Quoting does not mean endorsing.

    ReplyDelete