Thursday, 20 August 2026

A close friend of mine once said to me 'The poets do not sing of friendship' but breaking up with friends is as painful as breaking with a lover

SHARE
In fact Shakespeare made Orlando in As You Like It deplore 'violated vows/’Twixt the souls of friend and friend.'


“They parted—ne'er to meet again!
But never either found another
To free the hollow heart from paining—
They stood aloof, the scars remaining,
Like cliffs which had been rent asunder;
A dreary sea now flows between;—
But neither heat, nor frost, nor thunder,
Shall wholly do away, I ween,
The marks of that which once hath been.”
Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Christabel


If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him. If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me. Still, He knows what He is about.
St John Henry Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment