Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Sweden's lost empire and Lithuanian arcana

SHARE
I knew Sweden briefly possessed the island of Guadeloupe from 1813 to 1814 during the Napoleonic Wars but had forgotten she also owned Saint Barthélemy (St. Barths) from 1784 to 1878. I did not know that she also had a colony in North America until I read it on the BBC or outposts in the Gold Coast and planned to capture Madagascar.

Before those colonies Sweden's last colony had been England but in the 17th century Sweden was a great power. 

Lord Salisbury pointed out that Poles complain about the three partitions of Poland but do not mention that Sweden and Poland partitioned Russia. He was talking about swathes of what is now Belarus and Ukraine.

Did you know that Lithuania was once the biggest country in Europe, before and after it was converted to Christianity in 1387, more than two hundred years after Sweden, the last of the Nordic countries to do so?

Do you know the only word in the English language which is taken from Lithuanian?

It is 'talk'.

No comments:

Post a Comment