Monday, 7 February 2022

The Englishman's proudest boast is that he never brags

SHARE
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first place in the lottery of life."
Cecil Rhodes

"It is, I believe, a very just observation that men's ambition is, generally, proportioned to their capacity. Providence seldom sends any into the world with an inclination to attempt great things, who have not abilities, likewise, to perform them."
Samuel Johnson. Gordon Brown proved Dr Johnson wrong. Some would add Boris Johnson but that's not (quite) fair.

"Jesus Christ said, 'Many are called but few are chosen', but devout Christians think this is the rhetoric of Jesus Christ."
Henri De Montherlant

Interviewer: Could I ask you what failings in individuals, in others, you could most readily excuse?
Evelyn Waugh: Drunkenness.
Interviewer: Any others? Or are you so severe?
EW: (Slight pause) Anger. Lust. Dishonouring their father and mother. Coveting their neighbour's ox, ass, wife. Killing. I think there is almost nothing I can't excuse, except perhaps worshipping graven images. That seems idiotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment