Monday 19 December 2022

Beginning and end

SHARE
The wildest hope of a healthy person is to get back to his first Christmas party, and be shy enough to be happy. 
G.K Chesterton

Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. 
C.S. Lewis
I had been reading Tales from the Iliad. Now, in boyish fancy, I watched the likes of Achilles, Ajax and Ulysses pass in triumph with aged Priam, proud even in defeat. I believe that day implanted in me a life-long craving for barbaric splendour, for savagery and colour and the throb of drums, and that it gave me a lasting veneration for long-established custom and ritual, from which would derive later a deep-seated resentment of Western innovations in other lands, and a distaste for the drab uniformity of the modern world.
Sir Wilfred Thesiger, The Life of My Choice (1987), p. 56

 

No comments:

Post a Comment