Saturday 2 March 2019

Quotations from Disraeli

SHARE
"No man is forgotten when it is convenient to remember him."

"Mr. Kremlin himself was distinguished for ignorance, for he had only one idea, and that was wrong."

"All is race."



"It is pleasant to be made much of by a man who is daily decapitating half the country" (of Ali Pasha of Albania).

"In a progressive country change is constant; and the great question is not whether you should resist change which is inevitable, but whether that change should be carried out in deference to the manners, the customs, the laws and the traditions of a people, or whether it should be carried out in deference to abstract principles, and arbitrary and general doctrines." 

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose."

"Every woman should marry ... and no man.” (acknowledgements, David Pratten).


"Youth is a blunder; Manhood a struggle, Old Age a regret." 

"I have fallen into my anedotage."

“The best way to become acquainted with a subject is to write about it. ”

"Seeing much, suffering much, and studying much, are the three pillars of learning."

.
“Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen.”

“When I want to read a novel, I write one.”

“The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own.”

"Nurture your minds with great thoughts. To believe in the heroic makes heroes."


And one quotation about Dizzy, from Lady Randolph Churchill (the American heiress, born Jennie Jerome, who was Sir Winston Churchill's mother). 

"When I left the dining room after sitting next to Gladstone, I thought he was the cleverest man in England. But when I sat next to Disraeli I left feeling that I was the cleverest woman."

No comments:

Post a Comment