Saturday 2 March 2019

Two quotations from Andre Maurois

SHARE
"The minds of different generations are as impenetrable one by the other as are the monads of Leibniz." 
"Without a family, man, alone in the world, trembles with the cold."
The second I think is not true at all. The first is arresting. 

I didn't understand the ideas current in my youth (that is the ideas of people of people up to twenty years older than me) very well for a long time but came to. Now the ideas of the progressive young seem the single saddest and most dangerous aspect of the modern world. But then I would do as I am a back-looking nostalgist and in my fifties.

1 comment:

  1. "The minds of different generations are as impenetrable one by the other as are the monads of Leibniz."

    I think that's one of the characteristics of modernism, and one of the many things that makes modernism so deadly.

    I'm sure that different generations had no great difficulty understanding one another in pre-modern times.

    ReplyDelete