Wednesday 15 June 2022

Quotations

SHARE
"I find that I can have no enjoyment in the world but continual drinking of knowledge"
John Keats

"Thank goodness the sun has gone in and I don't have to go out and enjoy myself."
Logan Pearsall Smith

"No duty is more important than that of returning thanks."
St. Ambrose, quoted by Pope Pius XI.

"In my experience, one of the most annoying things about being subjected to another's cell phone conversation is that one is supposed to pretend one is not involved and not listening. I come to the conclusion that I am no longer going to pretend that I can't hear. I will listen with obvious interest and ask questions when I can't understand."
Margareta Forschmidt

"What is so very depressing is that the EU vote - and the Scottish Referendum before it - has revealed how "patriotism" (my god, I feel old fashioned and archaic just typing that word) has not only been expunged as a virtue in the public consciousness and is now seen positively as a vice. This has been the relentless work of - in my opinion - left-wing politicians and academics since the war who have always recognised that by breaking up the unity of one community into smaller, sometimes artificial groupuscules ('working class', 'youth') they can then create political majorities which can be used to give them power. I mean who today can say, loudly, 'I am proud to be British' except old ladies in racist rants on buses or Sun columnists or madmen on the internet?"
Alex Woodcock-Clarke 7 June 2016, three weeks before the Brexit referendum changed the world.

"Today is the 40th Anniversary of the Liberation of Port Stanley and the effective end of the Falklands War. You would not know it from the mainstream media... Such commemoration as there is seems to be along the lines of lamenting the tragedy of war. While acknowledging that, and being careful not to go to the other example of triumphalism, there is such a thing as a Just War and we should celebrate the Falklands as a perfect example."
John Winterson Richards yesterday. Why is the BBC keen on the Ukrainian War but not the Falklands War?

1 comment:

  1. “La femme est un roseau dépensant.”
    Jules Renard

    ReplyDelete