Monday 6 June 2022

What they said

SHARE
“The Holy Spirit is practical, he is not an idealist. He wants us to concentrate on the here and now, because the time and place in which we find ourselves are themselves grace-filled.” Pope Francis yesterday, in a sermon for Whitsun.

“To the poet, to the philosopher, to the saint, all things are friendly and sacred, all events profitable, all days holy, all men divine.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Those who have some means think that the most important thing in the world is love. The poor know that it is money." Gerald Brenan

"Home is where, if you have to go there, they have to take you in." Robert Frost

"I am always prepared to recognize that there can be two points of view - mine, and one that is probably wrong."  J.G. Gorton

"The task of the 20,000 police officers who spent nearly 18 hours on continuous duty was lightened by the best behaved multitude in memory. Despite the hundreds of thousands that packed the centre of London for 24 hours, there was not one reported incident of a pickpocket at work. A Scotland Yard official said last night;'It is a tribute to the crowds behaviour'." In a newspaper report from Coronation Day, 1953.

“I think the new English men and women coming up now are falling into a world of ‘personal truth versus truth truth’ and that does not make a rational society. Somehow I have lost my optimism about clear-eyed, level-headed, open-hearted generations following ours.” Sir Tom Stoppard interviewed in the Daily Telegraph, May 20th

“As I get older, I think about death less and less. I have less time in front of me so I am less inclined to look backwards.” Ibid.

**for the first time on record the price of a pint breaches the £8 threshold in London** I know there are bigger problems in the world but ...

No comments:

Post a Comment